Thursday, July 25, 2013

GF Blueberry Muffins



Recently we started our youngest on a Gluten Free diet.  And for the most part, I have been appalled by the GF options on the market.  Everything costs about 4 times what it's non-GF counterpart costs and tasted like a spoon full of sawdust.  When I bought GF cinnamon rolls, my oldest thought it tasted like chicken, because that's what you want your cinnamon rolls to taste like. 

I have been experimenting with GF recipes for baked goods and think I came up with a pretty great one!  Trying to compensate for the dryness of GF flours, I added butter, milk and fruit (I am pretty sure butter makes everything better).  The fruit Owen and I picked at a local berry farm.  We even rode our bikes up to it, I felt very French. 

Let's make some GF muffins! Oui, Oui!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup (or 1/2 stick) of butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup Bisquik GF baking mix (if you use something else, you will need to add another 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp baking powder.  The Bisquik mix has sugar and leavener already added.) 
dash of salt
1/4 cup milk
1 cup blueberries
lemon zest

Makes 6 muffins


Directions:

Add butter and sugar to your mixer and blend on med-high until butter/sugar is fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.

Add the egg and combine.


Toss your berries with a bit of the flour.  This prevents them from sinking to the bottom of your muffin.  Set berries aside until the end. 

Add salt and half the flour to your mixer.  Combine. 

Add milk, combine.

Add remaining flour and beat until just combined. 

Add lemon zest and berries.  I use a spatula to gently combine.  I find the mixer paddle will crush the berries. 

Batter will be fairly thick, place it in a muffin tin.  I like to add a sprinkle of sugar to the tops to make them all sparkly because there isn't anything I love more than sparkles.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden on top and and a tooth pick comes out clean.  

No comments:

Post a Comment