Friday, July 12, 2013

Berry Crisp

My friend Susan came over the other day with a lovely berry cobbler.  This reminded me that I haven't really eaten my fill of berry-type desserts this summer.  I thought I would try my hand at a berry crisp.  The difference between a cobbler and a crisp is all in the cake/topping part.  Both have the fruit on the bottom, a cobbler is more of a biscuit/cake type top and a crisp is more streusel like. 

Berries aren't always the cheapest fruit to use for anything, but this is a case of freezer clean out.  I had strawberries and blueberries in there from previous purchases and a handful of fresh raspberries that were on their last day before they'd just be mush.  This recipe would work with whatever fruit you have on hand (except for maybe bananas, very little good comes from bananas).  Some great ideas would be stone fruits (peaches, plums, apricots) either mixed together or combined with berries, or even your classic grocery store staple, apples.

frosty berries


Ingredients for fruit portion:
4 cups fruit (I used strawberries and blueberries straight from the freezer and raspberries)
2 tsp flour
1 squeeze lemon

For topping:
1 cup oats (I used Snoqualmie Falls Lodge Oatmeal that I got at the Grocery Outlet)
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp butter (just over half a stick)
dash of salt

Directions:
berries ready to be topped
In your baking vessel (an 8x8 pan would be a good one to use if you don't have a pretty red ceramic dish from the Salvation Army like I do) toss in your berries, 2 tsp of flour and a squeeze from a slice of lemon.

A controversial move, I know, but I am not sugaring my berries.  These berries were picked in season and the strawberries are the super sweet Oregon variety.  If I were making this with early, tart strawberries, I might add  a tablespoon or 2 of sugar in with the fruit.   

topping

 Please notice the pretty kitchen towel.  A gift from my Mom.  All my decent kitchen towels are from my Mom.  Apparently the fact that I think its perfectly acceptable to just cut up old towels and use them in the kitchen makes her sad.

In a separate bowl combine all the topping
 ingredients, working the room temperature butter in with a fork or your fingers. 

Goes in looking like this...

Add the topping to the top of the berries, leveling it out.  Place in a 350 degree oven for around 30-45 minutes.  If you are using frozen fruit, like I did, you'll be at the 45 minute end of the time frame.  You want to pull it out of the oven when the top is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling up around the edges. It is absolutely perfect served warm or cold with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.


And comes out looking like this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment